*WANTED massage therapist, reflexology, energy practitioners for our Wellness Loft*
The Wellness Loft is open for yoga, massage, energy treatments, infrared sauna, etc. by appointment.
Gift Certificates for Health Matters and the Wellness Loft are available for purchase
Natural Health Consultations with Maurine-Mini food sensitivity $15.00; ½ hour $30.00;
1 hour $50.00-Call 734-240-2786 to make appointment
Ionic Foot Bath: Available by appointment-1/2 hour $35.00; 1 hour $50.00
Purchase 5-foot baths get the next one free 👣
Orders due July 20, August 17, Sept 14, via email by noon; Pickup April 1, April 29, May 27, June 24
First Friday Downtown Monroe Bonus Discount Day 5% off for First Friday
Yoga with Shannon: Saturday sessions Christ Lutheran Church 8:30-9:30 AM
Yoga with Jacqui: The Wellness Loft Saturdays 10:00; Yoga with Teisha Mon, Wed, Friday- See calenda
Gateway to Homeopathy: No Summer Classes
Homemade Herbal: No Summer Classes
Health Matters II is located at 3546 S. Otter Creek Rd. LaSalle Michigan
Healthy Happenings: Vitamin Basics
Welcome, summer! To my customers, I hope you and your families are doing well. Summer is a time that is ideal for reflection on how to balance our physical bodies, often aided by a vast array of herbs, vitamins, minerals, and homeopathics. Many people are confused when they are presented with so many choices when it comes to taking these vitamins and supplements. Often, the items for sale in our local stores and pharmacies are of inferior quality. People have asked about the most important vitamins to take, and I still believe the answer involves our food choices as the most determining factor in our overall health and wellness issues. However, there are a few supplements we can benefit from if taken regularly.
One of the most common questions I get at the store are queries involving “how much do I need to take?” and “how often do I need to take it?” In general, most vitamins and supplements need to be taken five days a week or less.
We can muscle test interested customers that have questions before purchasing new items. You can order your own blood tests using directlabs.com.
- Multi-vitamin- I prefer food-based vitamins taken with a meal at least twice a day.
- Vitamin C- I prefer fat soluble vitamin C which needs to be taken with a meal including fat for absorption.
- Vitamin D3- is a fat-soluble vitamin that needs to be taken with fat. I like to have the vitamin D levels tasted using 25 Hydroxy vitamin d blood test. The levels should be 50-80 for the most protection.
- Vitamin B-12 is good if you are struggling with fatigue. I prefer Methyl cobalamin for superior absorption.
- Cod liver oil is my number one supplement.Cod liver oil is superior in the amount of EPA & DHA. It also contains vitamin A and vitamin D in the right ratio. I like it because it is good for the brain, joint health, heart health, and even skin health. The taste is so much better than when it was given to me by my mother. I believe it is a reason older people seem to be healthier these days.
- Probiotic supplements (I prefer soil based) can be taken to improve digestive issue and to enhance our immune system.We can use muscle testing to determine the proper dosage for each individual. Initially some individuals may need to take a larger dose for one or two months to repopulate the intestines with beneficial bacteria.
- Magnesium is a super supplement that is used to calm the nervous system, muscles and even can help you sleep. Magnesium is difficult to absorb and can sometimes cause loose stools.I prefer magnesium glycinate or magnesium citrate.
- Zinc has been shown to improve immune function.
Maurine is happy to provide her opinion on diet and nutrition, supplements and lifestyle choices. This information is for educational purposes only. It is not meant to replace the advice of your physician and is not to be considered medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Should you have any concerns please contact your physician directly. As always, contact your pharmacist regarding any potential vitamin/drug interactions. Notify physician regarding any alternative remedies.
or call 1-269-476-8883
- Bridge Cards accepted at the store.
- Local Delivery to shut-ins available
- Maurine’s availability is limited, please call if you are interested in seeing her.
- Family Discount Day: Every Wednesday get 5% off entire order.
- Free Muscle Testing
- Infrared Sauna available by appointment only; 1/2 hour $30.00; 1 hour $50.00
- Ionic Foot Bath available by appointment only; 1/2 hour $35.00; 1 hour $50.00
- Lending Library featuring health and wellness summits and books (contact Maurine for a list of summits)
Words to Live By: “Love is the …Morning and evening star…It is the air and light of every heart, builder of every home, kindler of every fire on every hearth. It was the first dream of immortality. It fills the world with melody. -Robert G Ingersoll
Recipe: Bone Broth
One whole chicken or chicken pieces or 3-4 pounds beef, venison, pork, or lamb bones
Beef bones need to be roasted for 30 minutes at 450 degrees
¼ cup vinegar 2 bay leaves
1 onion cut into large pieces 1 tsp oregano
3-4 cloves garlic smashed 1 tsp peppercorns
2 carrots cut into large pieces 1 tsp rosemary
2 stalks celery into large pieces 1 tsp granulated onion
2 tsp Celtic Sea salt ½ tsp thyme
1 tsp granulated garlic
- Place the chicken or beef bones into a stock pot. Add vinegar cover bones with filtered water.
- Peel and quarter onion and smash and peel the garlic cloves. Drop them into the pot.
- Add carrots and celery stalk, coarsely chopped.
- Add herbs, spices and Celtic Sea salt
- Let the pot sit for one hour.
- Bring to a slow boil, turn the heat down to simmer for 12 to 24 hours. Scrape off any impurities that come up to the surface.
- All a large sprig of fresh (or frozen) parsley for the last 10-15 minutes of cooking.
- Strain the liquid using a fat separator. After it cools slightly, pour liquid into large mouth quart jars. Store in freezer.
Contact Health Matters Herbs & More
Store Phone 734-240-2786 www.monroehealthmatters.com